This born again experience message has gone and is going across the world to places like England, France, S Korea, Finland, Iceland, Scotland, Brazil and more. Also, I am under way in a project to visit every state in the
I would like to suggest that we go to the Bible today as a hungry child desiring to hear what God has to say and trust Him in receiving and applying what we hear in this message Luke 12:32 says (that) “...it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom.”
Have you ever wondered: What it really means to be “Born Again”? In almost 30 yrs of ministry I have heard the term “Born Again” used so many times -- I’ve got to say that many times I’ve heard people say they are “Born Again” yet they really have not been Born Again according to The Bible. Once I taught a Bible Study to an extended family attended by children as young as 7 yrs old to the Grandmother in her 70’s. Once I gave them all slips of paper & asked if each would write down what it means to be Born Again and hand them in. Well, do you know that each on of them said something different? Some were only slightly different most were completely different – and none of them said what The Bible says!
Well then, how does one become a child of God? How does one become a member of God’s Kingdom? How does The Bible teach us to be properly Born Again?
Let us begin our discussion by noting that there are three scriptural reasons why we must be born again:
1. Rom For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;
2. Isa 64:6 But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousness are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.
3. Rom 8:5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit. 6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. 7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be. 8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.
Now let’s hear what Jesus said about the Born Again Experience:
John 3:1 There was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews:
2 The same came to Jesus by night, and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him. 3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the
John 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
So we see there are 2 elements to the Born Again Experience – Water & Spirit:
We find the Apostle Peter proclaiming the Born Again Experience during the first sermon of the New Testament Church:
· Acts 2:38Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
I used to teach a Bible study to an extended family. The youngest member was about seven years old up to the grandmother who was in her seventies. One night I gave them all a slip of paper and asked them write down what it means to be born again and then hand the papers into me. Well, when they passed them in, I found each one to be different and none of them were what the Bible says is the born again experience.
You see there are many different ideas of what the born again experience is. Some say just "believing in Jesus", or calling on the name of Jesus or confessing that "Jesus is Lord" or “accepting Jesus Christ as your Lord” is the Born Again Experience.
Well, that’s several different ways & NONE of them are the true BORN AGAIN EXPERIENCE that the Bible teaches
And we know there is ONLY one listen to this: (Eph 4:5) 1 Lord, 1 Faith 1 Baptism
So how do we know which one is right? We can do that in part by seeing why each of these popular – unscriptural ideas about the BORN AGAIN EXPERIENCE is NOT the BORN AGAIN EXPERIENCE
Let’s keep in mind John 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
· The BORN AGAIN EXPERIENCE must include WATER & SPIRIT
Why being "born again" is not just believing:
· John For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
Please notice what else the Bible says about believing:
· James 2: l9 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
· The devils believe in Jesus, are they born again – will they see the
Also remember John 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
Where’s the water & spirit here?
Being "Born Again" is not Just Confession:
· Rom 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
Please note the example of the Ethiopian Eunuch. He confessed Christ but it was followed by his baptism and was a requirement for his baptism
· Act Then the Spirit said unto Philip, Go near, and join thyself to this chariot. 30 And Philip ran thither to him, and heard him read the prophet Esaias, and said, Understandest thou what thou readest? 31 And he said, How can I, except some man should guide me? And he desired Philip that he would come up and sit with him. 32 The place of the scripture which he read was this, He was led as a sheep to the slaughter; and like a lamb dumb before his shearer, so opened he not his mouth: 33 In his humiliation his judgment was taken away: and who shall declare his generation? for his life is taken from the earth. 34 And the eunuch answered Philip, and said, I pray thee, of whom speaketh the prophet this? of himself, or of some other man? 35 Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached unto him Jesus. 36 And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized? 37 And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. 38 And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him.
Being "Born Again" is not Just Calling on Jesus:
· Rom For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
But Jesus also said:
· Matt 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
If we take Rom !0:13 out of context it causes what would seem to be a grave contradiction – what is the proper understanding of these verses?
Have you ever heard someone shout the name of Jesus Christ in a moment of anger? Did that save them?
Where or how do we properly call on the Name of the Lord in salvation?
Let’s hear what said in Acts And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.
The time and place given by the scriptures to call on the name of Jesus Christ in regarding to salvation is in baptism to wash away our sins.
· 1Pe The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:
Many say that we just “Accept Jesus as our savior” However, an honest and thorough study of the scriptures, will find that there is no scripture anywhere in the Bible which instructs one to simply "accept the Lord" as their personal savior.
Again remember, John 3:5 …Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the
Where’s the water & spirit here?
Now, there’s only one scripture that has anything even close to the idea of accepting Jesus as Savior (alone) and it is often misused is: John 1:12 “But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name”
When Jesus said to them He gave power – that word power as used here denotes ability IE if we welcome Jesus – receive Him & His teaching then we are to BECOME … Also we have previously noted in the case of the Ethiopian Eunuch what believing in the name of Jesus includes – Baptism!
So, we see that believing in, confessing and calling on Jesus and even accepting and receiving Him as the Lord of our life are all part of our faith but they are not how one is Born Again. These are NOT The Born Again Experience
These things are like ingredients in a cake: Flour, Sugar, and Flavoring. If I invite you to my home to enjoy some cake and give you a bowl of flour, what will you think? My wife Carolyn makes the best chocolate cake with a special creamy frosting. Now I know some her ingredients include: Flour, Sugar, Baking Soda, Salt,
If I invited you to my home fro some of her chocolate cake and some milk, coffee, tea or whatever you like to drink and I gave you a bowl of flour – what would you think? Is that the cake you were expecting? How about a bowl of oil or a plate of salt?
You see all the ingredients are very important to the cake but are not the cake by themselves. In like manner believing in, confessing and calling on Jesus and even accepting and receiving Him as the Lord of our life are all “ingredients” of our salvation but are not the whole thing.
So, just how does the Bible describe "Born Again"
§ John 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
· We see that there are two parts or elements that comprise the Born Again Experience: Water and Spirit.
Here we see 2 elements proclaimed by the Apostle Peter on the Day of Pentecost – the founding of the New Testament church as he delivers the 1st sermon of the
· Acts Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do? 38Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. 39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
The first element of being born again is being born of the water.
This is immersion baptism in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness (remission) of our sins. Contrary to popular denominational teaching, the New Testament teaches that water baptism is an essential element to man's salvation.
· 1 Pet The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:
· Acts And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.
Baptism which is the birth of the water is marked by some defining characteristics
First: Baptism is by immersion or dunking/plunging one COMPLETELY BENEATH the water. This is EXACTLY the meaning of the Greek word from which “baptism is translated
· Rom 6:3 – 5 says: “Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death? Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life. For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:
Second: Those being baptized must be old enough to Believe on Jesus Christ and to have the understanding that they have sinned requiring them to repent
· Mark He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
· Acts Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
· Many teach the baptism of infants however; since the scriptures require that one must both believe and repent before they are baptized an infant can do neither therefore baptism of infants is not scriptural nor could it possibly fulfill the Born Again Experience
Third: Baptism MUST be performed using the Name of Jesus Christ spoken over the person being baptized
· Act Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.
· Col 3:17 And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.
· Luk 24:47 And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at
Mat 28:19 says: “Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost”
Note some things the Bible says about the NAME of the Father Son, & Holy Ghost:
· Jesus prays to the Father and says in John 17:26 And I have declared unto them thy name, and will declare it: that the love wherewith thou hast loved me may be in them, and I in them. The NAME of the father that was declared is Jesus
· We know the NAME of the Son is Jesus as the angel told Joseph to not hesitate in taking Mary for wife “…she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.” Mat
· The NAME of the Holy Ghost is revealed in John 14:26 “But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.”
So when one is baptized in Jesus name according to the words of Peter in Acts 2:38 “Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins…” the are in COMPLETE agreement with the words of Jesus in Matthew 28:19 to baptize in the NAME of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost
Consider also: 1Jn which says: “Whosoever denieth the Son, the same hath not the Father: (but) he that acknowledgeth the Son hath the Father also.”
Now it is plain that every baptism we see performed by the Apostles and disciples of Jesus Christ was performed in the Name of Jesus Christ:
· Acts “Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins…”
· Act But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the
· Act And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.
· Act 19:5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.
· Rom 6:4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism…
So The first element of being born again is being born of the water by being baptized by immersion in The Name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of sins.
The second element of being born again is being born of the Spirit. Being born of the Spirit is described in the scriptures as receiving the Holy Ghost. The first indication that you have been filled with the Spirit of God is that you speak in other tongues as God's Spirit gives the inspiration.
· Isa 28:11 For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people.
· Mark And these signs shall follow them that believe; … they shall speak with new tongues;
· Acts 2:4 "And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance."
· Acts And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost. 46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter, 47Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?
How did the Jews who came with Peter know that these people had received the Holy Ghost? “For they heard them speak with tongues”
Here’s another angle on why speaking in unknown tongues is the sign of the Holy Spirit in filling or baptism:
· John 7:37 In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink. 38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water. 39 (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)
On the day of Pentecost the followers of Jesus (including His mother) received the Holy Ghost and something flowed out of them - "And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance." Acts 2:4. THIS is the living water The Lord spoke of!
To understand this even more let’s look at one of the types or symbolisms of water by comparing 2 scriptures from Revelation:
· Rev 17:1 And there came one of the seven angels which had the seven vials, and talked with me, saying unto me, Come hither; I will shew unto thee the judgment of the great whore that sitteth upon many waters:
· And he saith unto me, The waters which thou sawest, where the whore sitteth, are peoples, and multitudes, and nations, and tongues.
SO, one of the symbolisms of water is tongues – or languages – Jesus said the Holy Ghost would be “rivers of living water”. When the Jesus followers were filled with the Holy Ghost we do NOT see LITERAL water flowing from them – but rather we see the speaking in other languages unknown to those speaking them!
Some people confuse the “Gift” of the Holy Ghost spoke of in Acts 2:38 with the one of Gifts of the Spirit that is speaking in tongues as found in 1 Cor 12:10. They will say “Oh, I’ve received the Holy Spirit but I don’t have the gift of tongues” But the Gift of the Holy Ghost comes WITH tongues – as the initial evidence that one has received it.
To ease this confusion please note that there are 2 different Greek words being used for the English “gift”. In Acts 2:38 the word gift comes from the Greek word: do-reh-a which “gift” as in a gift or present that is given to someone while in 1 Cor 12 where the gifts of the Spirit are discussed; that word gift is: char-is-mah which is spiritual endowment or miraculous faculty.
So, we are talking about 2 different words, 2 different things in Acts 2:38 the tongues come with the free gift of the Holy Ghost all are to receive while in 1 Cor12 the tongues are an ability which God gives to whom he pleases for particular purposes and at special times.
To further our understanding let’s consider faith. Heb 11:6 says without faith it is impossible to please God –this is NOT the gift of faith we read about in 1 Cor 12:9. One faith is universal for all followers of Jesus Christ while the other faith is again “an ability which God gives to whom he pleases for particular purposes and at special times.”
Let us summarize what we have studied about the Born Again Experience:
· One must first believe in Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior, Repent of their sins – that is confessing they are a sinner and that they want Jesus to lead them in a new way of life.
· Then, we see that there are 2 “elements” or parts to be born again as Jesus requires according to the scriptures: One involves a water birth – baptism in Jesus Name and a another a Spirit Birth – receiving The Holy Spirit as evidenced by speaking in tongues.
Jesus Christ CLEARLY stated in John 3:5-7 “Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the
Also, I’d like to ask: have you ever reached a point in your life where you thought, if only I could start over, I'd do things differently? Well I have good news for you - you can! Being Born Again as the Bible teaches gives one a clean & fresh start with their life and restores our innocence before God!
Have you truly been Born Again according to the requirement given by The Lord Jesus Christ in The Bible?
· 2 Cor 6:2 (b) issues this challenge: ...behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation.
To experience being "Born Again" or for additional study material please contact us:
Pastor Everett Hasper
Abundant Life Ministries
7083 State Route 21
Web site: http://www.almcommunity.org
It is my sincere desire that the very Spirit of Truth will continue to speak to you. May God richly bless you.